Tuesday, December 9, 2008


My internal alarm goes off about 6:15 AM. I listen intently for what the weather man said would be happening at this time of the morning. Sure enough for once he was dead on. Tiny ice pellets are tapping on the window, while mother nature roars with delight.

I roll my toasty warm body out from underneath the piles of blankets and stumble a few yards across the hall into the girls toy room (AKA. the 'hangout room' now that we are teens and tweens). There in the dark sits my promise of hope. With one single click of the mouse the screen comes to life, blinding me with it's brightness. As my eyes slowly adjust, I click to connect and then type in the address that will give me exactly what I am hoping for.

As I page down through the long list, looking ONLY for the L's. I see IT and I see the words I was hoping for...NO SCHOOL!

With a click and a click I return this wonder machine back to it's sleeping mode and tiptoe into each girls bedroom before heading back to mine. I pull their covers up snug around their necks and lean over, ever so slightly, whispering those MAGIC words, 'No School, Today.' That is my favorite part!

With a tiny wiggle of acknowledgement, they quickly slip back to lala land to continue their slumber for a few extra, LONG hours.

As I head back into my bedroom, now fully awake, I squander if I should crawl back in or simply take advantage of a few quiet hours alone. The question only takes but a second to answer and before you know it, I am snug as a bug tuck safe under my down comforter. After all, my question is a mute point who could resist the invitation to cozy comfort while mother nature rages her wrath outside.

I slip back into dream land grateful for a break in the morning routine of breakfast, back packs, and the hustle and bustle of getting out the door.

So what will we do today with this gift of a break in the routine. Well, I will hustle to wrap up most of my office work and phone calls before noon and then an afternoon filled with baking Christmas cookies.

Sounds like a SNOW DAY to me!
P.S. I will take full credit for providing a 'problem' for the Invention Convention! That little school project for some reason about 'killed me'. Please note, it was optional for students. Will find out on Thursday if she advances to the next level. 4H days better not fail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment