
Interesting day from Mr. Milo out in Denver, CO. He called about 11:00 to verify location for his upcoming appointment (I spend about a day and a half every week, booking all of his appointments, flights, hotels, sending letters, and writing thank yous. AND my pay, well lets just save it doesn't come in the form of a check. :-). ANYWAY....he needed confirmation on the location of his appointment. I called back about an hour later, to see if he found the location, only to be greeted with a very short, "I will call you back, I just got picked up for speeding."
1/2 hour later, I got a call and had a VERY IRRITATED husband on the other line. He was at the wrong location of his appointment and was heading to the right location. Driving on the interstate, he had the cruise set at 75mph, which WAS the speed limit at one point. However, somewhere along the road the speed limit changed to 55mph and Milo didn't quite catch that.
So he gets pulled over by "this young, rookie, probably his first ticket he has ever written, punk cop." and this is how it went down..........
"Sir did you realize that you were speeding 20 mph over the speed limit?"
"No sir, I had my cruise control set at 75mph because that was the speed indicated on the interstate."
"No sir, the speed limit changed to 55mph about 5 miles back."
So the drivers license, proof of car rental, insurance is exchanged yada, yada, yada......
THEN the cop comes back to the car with the $135 fine and a COURT DATE!
Colorado law states that if a person is caught driving 20mph or more over the speed limit, THEY MUST APPEAR IN COURT!
Milo, "Officer, I am very willingly to pay the fine imposed, however I am here on business and live in the state of Iowa."
"I realize that sir."
Milo, "Is it possible to drop the mph down to 74 so I don't have to make a special 10 hour trip to Denver?"
"I am sorry sir, THAT IS THE LAW!"
So guess when his court date is......NOVEMBER 24TH! This week is not a week conducive to booking appointments for business, hence being able to expense the trip for work. AND a black out week to use frequent flier miles d/t the Thanksgiving Holiday.
So for Milo's birthday he just might be getting a weekend getaway to Denver, CO! Compliments of Colorado LAW, actually compliments of the Japenga household budget. The last flight I booked to CO was about a month ago and it was $1000. Good thing gas has dropped! This will most definitely be the most expensive speeding ticket EVER!
So a note of caution....when traveling in Colorado, don't drive 20 mph over the speed limit!
Unless of course you would like to take another trip to Colorado within 3 weeks!
To donate funds to the Milo Japenga 'COURT DATE' fund, please call 319-294-1976 or you can send your donation to 6014 Flagstone Dr. NE. Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52402. ANY monetary amount WILL be accepted!
O, well, I guess if we are in the cities on November 21st for a 'football game'? We will just head back to Cedar Rapids via Denver.
Do you think it is possible to move a court date?
No comments:
Post a Comment