Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Just 5 More Minutes PLEASE!

As the weather gets nicer and bedtimes get pushed a bit later and later every night, drawing to the close of the school year mornings are getting tougher and tougher! This morning however it would be mom that was saying, 'Just 5 more minutes, please!' I laid there secretly wishing that my husband would kiss me on the cheek and whisper 'Don't worry honey, I will get the kids off to school. You just sleep.' Ooops. I must have been dreaming!

So as the story unfolds, I drag myself out of bed only to head straight to the coffee maker to reheat what was left over from yesterday, just to get a quick fix before making a new pot! The kids get off to school and now with caffeine on board I suddenly find a new energy to my day and wonder why I would want to sleep the morning away.

Yesterday I shared a bit about David losing control which led to an adulterous affair and then the murder of Bathsheba's husband. We can be ticking along just great and suddenly life spins out of control. As you refer back to the story in 2 Samuel 11:1 - 14, I want to focus today on verse 1.

When that time of year came around again, the anniversary of the Ammonite aggression, David dispatched Joab and his fighting men of Israel in full force to destroy the Ammonites for good. They laid siege to Rabbah, but David stayed in Jerusalem.

Now we don't know why David stayed back. It appears that it was a time of the year when kings, such as he would go off to war with their troops. However this time he sent Joab in his place while he remained in Jerusalem. May be he was worn out, didn't feel like managing his troops, just didn't want to mess with it, and it was 'easier' to stay in Jerusalem. After all, he had the authority to delegate the responsibility.

Then in verse 2 it goes onto explain, One late afternoon, David got up from taking his nap and was strolling on the roof of the palace.

Whatever the reason for David staying back, it set into motion negative repercussions for him, his family, and his nation. David's choice to stay home was a wrong choice.

I believe that the Holy Spirit often times nudges me along with an inner 'gut' feeling, that voice in my head. However I also have a nudging sometimes that is not of the Holy Spirit that encourages me to make different choices. Choices that are not in my best interest for the short or long term. While I may gain some immediate gratification from a decision, the long term consequences are not good.

So when the comfort of the bed on a cool, damp morning, snuggled under a down comforter with pillows all around persuades you into taking just 5 more minutes, which in turn affects the unfolding of the events of the day: may be you miss your quiet time, you rush to get the kids off to school which leads to harsh spoken words, you don't have time to make a healthy breakfast and instead grab a donut and coffee from the convenient store, or you miss your daily exercise.

Remember God forgives and rebuilds lives, however He does not remove the consequences of uncontrolled actions, a distant relationship with Him, a hurtful word shouted at your child or spouse, or the harmful effects on your body of poor nutrition and lack of exercise.

The first step in getting a life under God's control, beginning to live a life in balance and harmony with God's plan is to pray for discernment and guidance, strength and energy to make the right choice!

When you seek God, He will show you His plans and way for your life so that you can follow Him and avoid sin.

Psalm 25:4 Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths.

Blessings,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment